The Centre for Urban Ecology and Sustainability (CUES) participated in the Campus Bird Count 2021 event for the fifth time in a row since 2017. The Centre organised bird counts in all five campuses of Ambedkar University Delhi (AUD) from 12th February to 15th February 2021.
- 12th February: Lodhi and Rohini Campus
- 13th February: Dheerpur Campus Site and Dheerpur Wetland Restoration Project Site
- 15th February: Kashmere Gate and Karampura Campus
A list of bird species and their numbers were recorded on eBird India – an online platform managed by Bird Count India created to understand the distribution, abundance, and population trends of Indian birds through data provided by common citizenry. At AUD, a total of 56 birds species (45 species in CBC-2020) were listed during the duration of 3 days of the event. While some birds in the list were the ones we have seen across the year, there were some others which were winter and passage visitors in Delhi like:
- Greenish warbler (Phylloscopus trochiloides)
- Bluethroat (Luscinia svecica)
- Common Rosefinch (Carpodacus erythrinus)
- Red-naped Ibis (Pseudibis papillosa)
- European starling (Sturnus vulgaris)
- Western wagtail (Motacilla flava)
- Citrine wagtail (Motacilla citreola)
We, at CUES are very excited to report a steady positive increase in the bird counts of Ambedkar University Delhi campuses over the years and are grateful for events like the Campus Bird Count that help bring together like-minded people and also give us the opportunity to be a part of a global event every year. We look forward to your participation next year. Happy Birding!
For more pictures from Campus Bird Count 2021, please click here.
Photo Credits : Sonali Chauhan, Fizala Tayebulla, Shiwani, Vipin Kumar